1. No Drama, no Wank. This is the #1 rule. Do not forget it. Memorize it. Write it on a sticky note and put it on your computer screen. Don’t wank. Don’t.
2. Age Requirement: This game is meant for persons 16 years of age or older due to having mature themes. If we find out that you have lied about your age, this will result in immediate banning.
3. this is a panfandom game! We allow anything except characters from hentai/yaoi/yuri/ecchi games/other pornography, and fanworks. Also, for the time being, we are disallowing characters from unpublished sources (which includes most webcomics). Obscure fandoms are allowed, but we ask that you give additional extrapolation on canon history, as well as links to the source material so the Mods can process your application better.
4. We also allow original characters! However, we ask that the characters be original, and from their own universes. Naruto Ninjas, XVIIth Organization Members, non-canon Time Lords, Reapers, Wizards, Turks, etc will not be accepted. See the FAQ for further details.
5. THIS GAME IS RATED R. As in, we allow cursing and adult situations and so on, but if you’re gonna have super-graphic violence, please warn us and lock the post. If you want to do pornographic logs, please take it to wake_porn. Wake_Porn is NC-18 ONLY. We cannot stress this enough. All posts WILL be locked.
6.: THE FOLLOWING ARE BANNABLE OFFENSES
***IC problems expressed OOC, OOC problems expressed IC: This is when your character gets upset at another character because you, the player, are upset at the player of the other character; or when you, the player, verbally attack or otherwise start problems about another player about something which occurred ICly and is completely in-character and permissible (this does not include things you did not grant permission for / godmoding, see below)
***Direct personal attacks: Talking behind other player's backs, badmouthing, and insulting other players because of something you don't like about them. This is the sort of garbage you see on RP!Secrets and the RP Anon Meme.
***Slander: Lying about another player's actions with malicious intent
***Anything else which causes tension, infighting, or other problems
None of this will be tolerated; all of the issues listed above are bannable offenses.
Other offenses that will get you a warning, and then a ban if a repeat occurs are:
***OOC behavior: If you’re playing a fandom character, then it is understood that you are playing a character with a pre-set personality, behavior and history. There is no excuse for you to ignore these conditions. We understand that sometimes RP requires a hefty amount of filling in the blanks, but we ask that you do so reasonably. A serial killer with no canon evidence for enjoying fluffy kittens behaving in a kitten-enjoying manner is not acceptable.
***Godmodding: Godmodding is when one player controls the actions of another player’s character. Forcing another character to die, experience severe psychological, emotional, or physical damage is godmodding. Breaking the in-game laws of physics is godmodding. Saying another character did X is godmodding. Godmodding is not okay, it makes people mad, and causes strife among players. Don’t do it. If you want to have serious effect on another player’s characters, ask that player first.
***Mary Sues: What’s the difference between a Mary Sue and an OC? A Mary Sue is perfect, has no flaws, makes everyone fall in love with her, and is in general obnoxious. An OC is well-developed, has reasonable flaws and powers, and is basically a reasonably normal person. You will notice that the OC application is much more intensive – this is so we can preempt any Sue-like behavior. If you are accepted and exhibit Mary Sue behavior, the mods will not be happy.
***Inappropriate Content: Some of the players in The Wake are minors. If livejournal's owners or the government would frown severely in our direction for it, don’t do it. Use your best judgment. Also, if you are under 18 and posting in wake_porn, we will ban you. This goes for posting in wake_porn with underage characters as well (including those temporarily aged up due to reality storms or other events).
***Muncest: some muncest is understandable, especially if you’re playing two characters from the same fandom, but we'd like you to keep this to a minimum. If you are apping two characters from the same fandom, try to make sure they're not likely to interact on a regular basis. Even with that, we understand that sometimes muncest has to happen. HOWEVER, there is no excuse for your OC to interact with your fandom characters, especially if it’s for a hook up. Keep in-fandom muncest to a minimum, and keep your OC/Fandom character interaction out of the game as much as is humanly possible.
If you see a player engaging in activity you consider offensive, Please report it. You may do so here. It is up to the moderators do decide if your complaints are valid; a general rule of thumb is that if a player gets three to five complaints from separate players, they will be considered for a warning or a ban.
We expect you to post in some fashion with each of your characters at least once a month for Ascended characters, and at least once every two months for non-Ascended characters. Basically, you need to either start a thread in either thewake_rp or thewakelogs, or make at least five longform replies to a thread in thewakelogs.
On the 7th day of every other month we hold an activity check. For those unfamiliar with this concept, you simply comment with links to one post your character has made or one thread of the appropriate length. This is just our way of checking up on you and making sure you're still interested in the game. Naturally, being on an official hiatus exempts you from an activity check.
If you miss an activity check due to your hiatus, your character will be listed as inactive. If you then miss a second check, your character will be considered dropped. After that, you will have to re-apply if you want to continue playing.
Everybody needs a break sometimes. Maybe finals are coming up, maybe you're just stressed, maybe you have to go on vacation; whatever. The longest you can take a hiatus for is three months, or 90 days. Beyond that, you should probably consider dropping the character.
Furthermore, if you take a hiatus, you must make the first activity check after your hiatus to keep your characters. This is to keep people from taking hiatuses simply so they don't have to complete activity checks.